Thursday, June 25, 2009

And why was that a good idea??


I love 80's music. I am a child of the eighties so you should expect no less. The neon jelly bracelets and shoulder pads I can happily live without....but endanger my music collection and your ass is grass. Between my husband and I, our beloved
Zune's contain about every genre of eighties music imaginable. From New Order and Blue Oyster Cult to Kenny Loggins and Run DMC....we like to call it the "Ultimate Crackhead Mix". (You know how I oppose the use of the word ultimate....in this case it works....it's OUR ultimate.) There are a couple of songs that I've had in heavy rotation the past couple of weeks....very similar to taping your favorite song on the radio and making a 60 minute repeat of it on the pink and green Sony PopTape. Europe's Carrie defined 7th grade school dance season.
To get to the point, here's a sampling of "80's Stuff"...pretty sweet tunes when you're mowing the back 40 with a push mower. (I pride myself in creatively titling my playlists. Random stuff, Other Stuff and Shake My Ass are some of the others. I'm contemplating using "This and That" but I'm afraid it might be a bit pretentious)
  1. Roxy Music - More Than This
  2. Elvis Costello - Accidents Will Happen & Everyday I Write the Book
  3. B-52's - Summer of Love
  4. Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels/Broken (LIVE)
  5. INXS - Never Tear Us Apart & Kiss the Dirt
  6. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry & Let's Go To Bed
  7. Howard Jones - No One Is To Blame
  8. Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
  9. REO Speedwagon - Take It On The Run
  10. Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas (Shut up....I know it's June.)
  11. The Outfield - Your Love
There is a bit more to my list but but for the sake of brevity I'll leave it as is.

Also, I am what you'd call a purist and I'm not particularly fond of change. Not a huge fan of the cover song or remixes...unless it's badass....in which case I will make a justified exception. If I liked the song when it came out, chances are (in my humble and mostly unwanted opinion) I'm STILL OK with it. So, while I was surfing youtube for my morning dose of mind rot (cat videos, drinking from cups, I'm on a boat and random music videos) I stumbled upon something that piqued my attention. I love me some More Than This (this was my #1 search on youtube this morning).....I also love 10,000 Maniacs (WITH Natalie Merchant of course)....according to the infinite wisdom that is the intertubes, 10,000 Maniacs have done a cover of More Than This. The wheels started turning....I thought to myself, this might not be half bad. It wasn't half bad....it was sooooooooo much more. It was a Goddamned travesty. This cover is right up there with Ginuwine's When Doves Cry and Jessica Simpson's Take My Breath Away. In fact I think it outranks them both. What kind of sick individual thinks it's a good idea to take perfectly good (great in some cases) music and fuck it up so badly that you begin to wonder if you really did like the original??? Is it for the money? Is it to promote an artist who is having a bit of a decline in popularity? Is it an attempt to draw in an older audience by using "their songs"? Who the hell knows.....I just want to know why they thought it would be a good idea. Maybe if we asked nice enough they could get the Jonas Brothers to cover No Sleep Til Brooklyn.

If you're feeling up to it here it is. Imagine really fucking bad techno and someone singing Celtic lullabies having a love child. I do however recommend watching the video directly after though....10,000 Maniacs WITH Natalie Merchant doing a cover of Bowie's Space Oddity. Ms. Merchant could sing the Valleydale theme song and I'd like it.....all hail to Valleydale bitches. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment